Award-winning freelance television director and producer Sanif Olek is appealing to the masses out there to help him complete his debut feature film Ramuan Rahasia [The Missing Ingredient], which is currently 65% done from the director's own resources, and requires funds and donations to complete the remaining 35%. Production commenced in 2009 but has stalled due to insufficient funds.
The project needs S$300 000 (approx US$230K) more to complete. This fund is required to film the remaining 10 days of shoot, including post-production costs.
"Ramuan Rahasia" [The Missing Ingredient] is inspired by food films such as Ang Lee’s Eat Drink Man Woman, Lars Halström’s Chocolat, Gabriel Axel’s Babette’s Feast and Alfonso Arau’s Like Water For Chocolate, blending spicy food, classic Nusantara Malay songs and unrequited love into a potent concoction fit for international palate, with the cross-cultural themes being a magnet to the international Malay diaspora and lovers of Malay culture around the world. The universal theme of love lost and reconciled should guarantee it a wide potential audience.
As the first full-length Malay-language feature film made in Singapore in possibly forty years(!) this film is also an example of international collaboration, being filmed on two continents with cast and crew from Singapore and Australia, such as the casting coup of Dato' Rahim Razali, a legend in Southeast Asian Malay cinema.
You can find out more details on how to chip in from this appeal page. Don't wait!
Rahim Razali stars as a man unable to move past the death of his wife to regain the love of his only son. Blamed for the accident & left paralyzed, Pak Harun is placed in the care of Murni, an at-home nurse. When Murni fails at cooking his late-wife’s most favored Malay dish, Pak Harun’s torment forces Murni to seek guidance from the memory of her family killed in the Aceh tsumani.
Will they find the missing ingredient that unites them all - people from different places, cultures and phases of life - bringing them together to sing the same tune?