HAUNTED CHANGI debuted in cinemas
yesterday with a strong box office showing of S$48,992 on the first day with 22 prints in Golden Village, Cathay, Eng Wah and Filmgarde cinemas islandwide.
The film was the number one film at most local cinemas yesterday, beating out fellow openers Vampire Sucks and Going The Distance, as well as holdover titles Grown Ups and The Expendables. Rarely have local independent films ever beat out major Hollywood films at the Singapore box office, given the significantly larger marketing and publicity budgets of the major titles.
Haunted Changi filmmakers commented, "We wanted to tell a story that all Singaporeans proudly say we own it. Old Changi Hospital is our very own famous haunted house. Small team, low budget with no big studios supporting it, no famous names. The big star is old Changi Hospital itself. Overseas markets are looking at how Singaporeans are supporting this movie. If we can support local films, we won't need to look for old castles or other people's Amityville Horror houses to find inspiration. Who knows, if HAUNTED CHANGI does well here, you may start seeing local films in Hollywood cinemas! This happy start to the box office is because of our fans. It's all because of you, thank you!"
Friday, September 03, 2010
MX NewsBites Archive
- The Korean Remake of John Woo's A Better Tomorrow
- THE BURIED EXPERIENCE
- Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen bags S...
- ToY StOrY 3 Out On 19 October 2010!
- All I Want For Christmas 2010 - TOY STORY TRILOGY ...
- Taipei Exchanges 第36个故事 Out On DVD
- First Look at THE FIGHTER
- Iconic Shaw Lido Cineplex to close for renovation
- Acclaimed Filmmaker John Woo & Actress Michelle Ye...
- After Shock 唐山大地震 Out On DVD/Blu-Ray 16 September ...
- RAINIE YANG HAS "THE CHILD'S EYE"
- NEW! Clint Eastwood's Hereafter
- His Face Sells...
- Haunted Changi tops local box office on the first ...
- Back to the Future-style Nike sneakers
- ▼ September (18)
- ► 2009 (289)
- ► 2008 (397)
- ► 2007 (242)